8.03.2011

The Biggest Fight

I realize my last post was "Week One" and today is week two.  At least I'm pretty sure it is, but the fact that I don't have the date etched in my mind is a good thing.

For a long while after the Professor said he wanted a divorce, everything was measured by that moment.  How many days ago did he say it, how many weeks and, later, months.  That dark anniversary never passed by unnoticed, unmourned.  But I am no longer counting days and weeks.  I'm not measuring the moments of my life by him or what happened.  Was it really just last week that I posted?  It feels like last year.

Here's what I can say about divorce:  if you are prepared, it isn't so bad.  Which isn't to say it's great.  I'm not exactly celebrating.  But I'm not killing myself, either.  The first week was pretty miserable, to say the least.  But I was prepared.  I spent the last ten months actively preparing myself for this, working hard to adjust and adapt, facing myself honestly and critically, reflecting on our relationship, evaluating who I was, who I am, and who I want to be.  I didn't bury my head in the sand or distract myself from dealing with things.  I have dealt with it all, in the most thoughtful, real and honest way I know how.  And I have tried to do it all in a way I could be proud of, in a way that I thought would have some dignity and honor, if dignity and honor can be found in the destruction of a marriage.

It has been painful in a way I cannot describe, and more difficult than anything I've ever done.  I have learned to be with myself, to bite my tongue, to let things go.  I have learned to measure the depth of my immediate pain against the gain, if any, of acting on it.  I have learned that -- much to my dismay -- I am not always right, and, even worse, that right or wrong, sometimes I just have to accept that I cannot have, will never have, what I want.  And I have learned that, while sitting with pain or anger hurts, and feels impossible, sometimes it is better than the alternative of being ignored, rejected or denied.  I have learned not to touch the hot stove that burns me, as tempted as I am.

These are good lessons for me, as I'm a fighter.  I'm a kicker and a screamer.  I will have what I demand, and I will be heard.  And, while it has been painful, it has also been necessary for me to learn that kicking and screaming don't always work, aren't always the most effective way to make your point.  To the contrary, they rarely are and often obscure the point altogether.  Not to mention that kicking and screaming is just plain exhausting.

Because of this -- because of the work that I've done, the pain I didn't fight, the temporary distractions I didn't embrace, the impulses I resisted -- I was prepared.  As prepared as anyone can be.  I didn't throw myself down and wail, I didn't rend my clothes.  I did not fight what I could not control.  Which is not to say that I didn't want to.  I wanted in a primal way.  But I didn't.  Because I know how not to.

And the moment passed.  The worst of it came and then, eventually, left.  There will be other moments, things that trigger memories and sorrow, things that remind me of this great loss, things that bring me to my knees.  I won't fight the pain.  I will sit with it, because I have learned how to.  And learning that is the biggest fight I've ever won.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I reread a bunch of your postings tonight, they are so interesting, you are so transparent. You are well prepared for the rest of your life - I can't wait to see how you live it. Keep an eye on the ticket prices please, I do want to come and see you this fall. I love you Stephanie!