1.29.2012

More

When the Professor and I were dating, his younger brother, Junior, had a series of girlfriends.  Junior was edgy, creative, hilarious.  I think he was searching for something -- someone -- lighter than himself.  Every year at Christmas, he brought one home with him, and every year, his mother had a stocking for the girl, one with her name embroidered on it.  Every year, there was a new stocking, a new name.  I don't know what happened to the old ones.  Maybe they were tossed in the attic, gathering dust.  Maybe they were thrown out.

I still think of the Professor's mom as my mother-in-law.  She hasn't acknowledged me once since the Professor told her that he wanted a divorce.  Neither has Junior.  Not once.  You would think that I was a serial killer, or a serial cheater.  You woud think that I left him. But maybe they hated me all those years.  Maybe they breathed a sigh of relief, followed by many more sighs and much more relief, when the Professor actually left me.  But I didn't breath a sigh of relief when I lost them.  To me, that is what it was. And is.  Loss.

I wanted to tell someone a story the other day, and it started with the Professor's father.  I opened my mouth to speak, and realized I didn't know what to call him.  My ex-father-in-law?  He died before the Professor left me, and so that didn't seem right.   And I had loved him, and I thought that he at least liked something in me, some fire he saw, however much he worried it would burn out his son.  I couldn't tell my story, because I couldn't figure out the words around that.  So I started, and stumbled, and thought of the Professor and his family, which had been my family.  And I found that I couldn't think of anything else, so I stopped talking.  There was simply no way to begin that felt adequate.

I once thought I knew where things stood.  I once believed that I knew people, and that they knew me, and loved me anyway.  I have learned much in these last sixteen months, mostly about myself.  About others, I have learned that I did not know, that I did not see and certainly did not not understand.  I was, probably, simply wrong, about many things.   About many people.  That knowledge, and the painful learning of it, has made me someone I was not.  Someone stronger, someone scarred, someone deeper, someone hurt.  I am brave, and I am terrified.  I am changed, in both good ways and bad.  I can never be unchanged.

I was wrong about what it means to love someone.  Love goes deeper and longer than I ever knew.  Love is less selfish than I once was.  Love treads more carefully than I did.  And love can bear you up against intolerable pain and make you stronger than you dream possible.  But everyone does not love the way that I do.  Or, at least, everyone I love does not love me that way back.  But still, I am not a stocking that can be replaced or tucked away to gather dust in the attic.  You can pack me up and leave me up there, but I am not.  I am not fungible.  I am deeply flawed, I know.  But so are we all.  And there is beauty and kindness --something uniquely worthy of love, tenderness, loyalty -- in me.  In you.  I may not know yours yet, but it is there.

I don't know yet what it all means.  I don't know what to do with all that I have learned, or how much more I will heal, or in what way the breaks and scars might make me even better -- or worse.  I want hope for the best, although I have no idea what that might bring.  But I know I have to hope, because I yearn for more.  Despite, and because of, everything.  More.

1 comment:

Karen said...

For me, one of the hardest lessons to learn and accept was that Love does NOT conquer all. I thought that if we had love, we would be okay. It doesn't work that way though. If there are incompatibilities, marriage will highlight them and either changes will occur or the marriage will falter. And you're right, getting divorced creates grief. Divorce is the death of a marriage and death of your dreams for the future. What I've found, is that letting go of the dreams is significantly harder than letting go of the actual person you were married to. But, once you do, you'll go on to live a life that is much happier than what your marriage was.

I wish you all the best during this transition period. If you have a minute, stop by and visit me at my website. www.TheMiniMarriage.com