9.21.2011

Witness

I saw something important tonight.

Walking back to the office after a quick bite, I saw a crowd.  Nothing unusual in downtown Chicago.  I walked into the crowd, meaning to walk right through.  It was a circle of sorts, but people were leaning in towards each other, away from what their heads turned to face -- a young woman being forced to the ground by a man in jeans and a red sweatshirt.  I stopped walking, rocked on my feet, and turned half towards her, half away like the others.  No one seemed sure what to do, poised between stepping in or walking away.

It was a few seconds before he forced her to the sidewalk on her face, writhing.  She kept saying "why?"  He pulled handcuffs out of his jeans.  Apparently, she'd shop-lifted from H&M.  Who knows what she took.  She looked like a student, with a back back and lap top bag that had been flung to the street in their struggle.

The entire scuffle probably lasted five seconds and we all dispersed, set into motion when he snapped on the handcuffs and hoisted her to her feet, dragged her back towards the store.  I walked away feeling sad, like I'd just seen someone's worst shame, someone's life fall apart.

No comments: