7.19.2011

The Moment Between Before and After

There was a moment today between before and after.  A moment when my world paused, and everything changed.

The Professor called me today (around 11:30?) to tell me that everything went fine in court, and it was done.  A second.  I said okay.  Another second.  Thanks for letting me know.  Goodbye.

The expression, 'my ears swam'.  It means something to me now.  I heard the rush of the ocean, of wind, and nothing else.

Work was crazy today.  I couldn't think straight.  I was in meetings all afternoon.  Ten minutes after the call, I went to a meeting, pissed a off partner by saying the wrong thing to the client.  He was legitimately upset.  What's the status of that issue?  What?  Issue?  What? I have no idea what you're talking about.  No idea what you even just said.  Did you say something?  Do I work here?

For three hours, I didn't have a single logical thought.  Just emotion, just mental chaos.  Just the ocean roaring through my brain.

I should have stayed home today.  Instead, I billed twelve hours.  For thirty seconds, I sat on my office floor and cried.  Sobbed.  If you can sob in thirty seconds.  Then I went to another meeting.

I have more to say.  But I just can't say it tonight.  I want to say it thoughtfully, with perspective and peace, and I don't have any of that at the moment.

But I will.  I know I will.  Just give me tonight to cry.

2 comments:

Stephanie P said...

Tomorrow is a new day, and you will grow just like you have every other day before this! Remember the old saying "This too shall pass...."

Nivedita Bagchi said...

This is such a tough time for you!! I thought about you all day and was actually thinking that you should have taken the day off. But then, I always see work as a balm (unpleasant sometimes) and maybe not being alone at home by yourself would not have been the perfect solution. I am so sorry. Hang in there.